Thursday, June 23, 2005

Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low

This morning I read the gospel of Luke chapter three. It’s the chapter where John the Baptist prophesies to the people living in Palestine that they should redistribute their possessions and food so that everyone will have enough.

I don’t usually intentionally theme my Bible reading, but today this chapter was especially apt. Right now I’m in a time of transition and so I’m weeding through my material possessions. When John the Baptist said that the one who has two coats should give to the one who has none, it really hit home with me because right now I’m thinking about what I should do with things like miscellaneous shirts and extra coats.

When I take the time to look at it, it never ceases to amaze me just how much stuff I actually have beyond what I actually need. And I’m not even considered rich, at least not by American standards. God has given me so much!

I have to admit, I didn’t take John’s advice. At least not completely. I still have more than one coat. For different occasions. I guess I still think that because in the future I may need to stand in front of people and look like I know what I’m talking about that I need to have something that we usually call “formal clothing” even though John the Baptist didn't seem to think so. But the boxes I’ll be taking to Goodwill this afternoon are a little bit fuller than they might have been otherwise. And I think my life may be a little bit fuller as well.

1 comment:

Leila said...

WOOHOO BOB! I give away clothes and things like nothing. I've learned not to love my posessions. I only love a few. and even those I had to give away. as Charlie brown would say-- good grief!
Leila