Monday, August 15, 2005

Bob's Summer Bookshelf

The LA Catholic Worker has a really cool library and quite a few of the books from it have made there way down to my room. Here's a list of books I'm putting back:

Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
(This one I borrowed from the Las Vegas Catholic Worker.)
Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee
God's Economy: Biblical Studies from Latin America Edited
by Ross and Gloria Kinsler
The Gift of Good Land by Wendell Berry
To Be a Revolutionary, an autobiography by Padre J. Guadalupe Carney
Reluctant Resister by Jeff Dietrich
Binding the Strong Man: A Political Reading of Mark's Story of Jesus
by Ched Myers
Unveiling Empire: Reading Revelation Then and Now
by Wes Howard-Brook and Anthony Gwyther

I haven't even opened the Carney autobiography or Ched's commentary on Mark. But the others I've read bits and pieces of over the summer. Good books. In addition, I've read the The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics by Ched Myers - a small book but one that I'm still thinking about. I also read The Back Country, a collection of poems by Gary Snyder, and A Language Older Than Words by Derrick Jensen as well as poems from my Norton Anthology of American Literature and bits and pieces of Wes Howard-Brook's Becoming Children of God: John's Gospel and Radical Discipleship.

Yes I know. I'm a book nerd. I've pretty much accepted it by now. Feel free to e-mail me your thoughts on any or all of the books I've read. I think it's fun when people do that.

Oh! And I almost forgot a little gem that a friend from lent me called Love Poems from God: Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West. I never knew Francis of Assisi wrote poetry and I was an English major!

No comments: